Maybe this is TMI, but I feel a responsibility to those who are looking for tips from the patients on coping with the preparation for the colonoscopy. I'm not 50 (and thank heavens won't be for another 20 years; 50 is the age that is recommended for having a colonoscopy and then every 10 years after, so long as the doctor doesn't find any abnormalities) but have had abdominal pain for about 6 months and wasn't happy with being diagnosed with IBS without more tests being run. Of course the two weeks prior to the procedure the pain went away, although it came back after the colonoscopy--probably due to colon irritation.

Tip #1. Ask for the pills (sodium phospate). The majority of people I have talked to who have had this procedure all agree that the laxative in drink form which is required to clean you out before the procedure is putrid. Mine came with five flavor packets to make it taste better. I chose orange. Unfortunately, my bathroom soap had a citrus scent so I smelled orange for a few days later, which after drinking the Trilyte was not a good thing! I puked the last liter of Trilyte the morning of the procedure and since I wasn't "cleaned out" enough (more about this to follow) had to run to the pharmacy and pick up magnesium citrate because this is a powerful laxative. So I recommend asking for pills! I didn't know this was an option. My bishop did this because he had heard about the drink. He said the only problem he had was that he hard to drink a ton of water.

Tip #2: Eat less and only easy-to-digest foods two days before the procedure. I had a difficult time getting cleaned out. I ate whatever I could two days before because I knew I could only eat liquid foods the day before the procedure. Also, I ate green Jello during the "cleaning out" process which turned my stool green and made it difficult to determine if my stool was clear enough for the procedure (see Tip #5).

Tip #3: Drink, drink, drink that water! I didn't drink as much water as I should have and was a bit dehydrated for the procedure. My blood pressure was unusually low, think 15-20 points less than usual. Also, the nurse had a difficult time getting the IV into my veins (also unusual--my veins tend to be pretty hearty).

Tip #4: Take sufficient amount of time off work. The patient is supposed to begin taking the laxative in the late afternoon the day before the procedure. You will not be able to work because: a) you may have to drink the laxative very 10 minutes (which comes all to soon even in the safety of your home where you can control what you do) and b) you are taking a laxative and will spend a lot of time on the toilet. Then take the day of the procedure off, as well as the day after. The patient is typically put out under a light anesthesia during the scope and cannot drive for 12-24 hours after, plus you'll spend more time on the toilet (the aftereffects of the laxative). You may also still feel the effects of the laxative the day after or experience discomfort in the colon even if you don't have any polyps removed. So take 2.5 days off work!

Tip #5: "Cleaned out" means there may be some particles and the liquid stool may have a yellow tint to it. I was so worried that the colonoscopy would be postponed and I'd have to go through the hell of the Trilyte again because I still had particles (sorry, guys!) and color to the stool. The nurse told me this was okay and that the procedure could still take place.

John Hopkins also offers some nice tips. Hopefully my tips will also be of some use and make the experience a little less distressful.

Disclaimer: I am not a health professional. Follow this tips at your own risk! Be sure to follow the counsel of your doctor and ask plenty of questions.


This entry was posted on 7/20/2009 02:03:00 AM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    They had me mix stuff with gatorade (and consume)& take two ducolax within an hour.

    Granted, I was cleaner than clean...

    I know you're pain; I actually have to have them done every 5 years. I hope the test came back with some answers for you...

  1. ... on 6:17 AM  
  2. dmaismith said...

    So sad you have to suffer this every 5 years but it is better than missing a colon problem. The test results were normal so we're doing a CT scan, which is a lot less painful!

  3. ... on 6:00 PM