One thing they don't tell you about being a new mom or having a newborn is that you begin to identify with dairy cows.







1. Electric Breast Pump: While Baby was in the NICU for 4.5 days, I had to pump after every feeding. The hospital gave me an electric double breast pump to use. I sat on the hospital bed watching TV holding the milk receptors to my breasts. Cows have it much easier with their milk machines since they don't have to hold the pump attachment to their udders.



VS.

This isn't the exact model I used. Mine stood about 3.5 feet high and was VERY heavy duty! I did go out and purchase a single breast pump for home use, which is much easier on the hands than a manual pump.














2. The purpose of life? MILK!: A dairy cow lives to provide milk. The past 3.5 weeks I've often wondered what my purpose in life is. Well, right now it is basically for one thing: feeding baby (and loving him; I feed him because I love him!). Every few days, Baby decides to change his feeding schedule. I never know from day to day if he'll want to feed every hour, two hours, three hours, or the very rare four hours. These hourly milkings are nuts (probably a growth spurt) and leave little time for anything else, including sleep.

3. Feed/Express Milk, Eat, Sleep: The three important activities for moms of newborns are similar to that of a cow. What does a cow spend its days doing? I can't imagine they do more than be milked, eat, and sleep.

Despite having a dairy cow as my personal mascot, I love having this little guy and enjoy the time I have alone with him in the early morning hours to feed him, see his cute little smile (dimples and all), and get to know the little guy.



This entry was posted on 5/26/2010 07:55:00 PM and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

3 comments:

    Amy said...

    Good times ... :)

    And your little man is so cute! So happy for you guys...

  1. ... on 11:33 AM  
  2. Anonymous said...

    It could be worse; you could be a cow and...
    "After calving, a cow will lick her calf and eat the afterbirth, which is usually pushed out soon after birth. Eating the afterbirth is a natural process and must not be discouraged because the afterbirth serves as a valuable source of nutrients for the cow. Where cows do not eat the afterbirth or leave pieces of it behind, these should ideally be buried to prevent the spread of disease."

    Ewwww...

  3. ... on 11:48 AM  
  4. Dennis Family said...

    Wow Deborah you look incredible for just having a baby!! He is so cute - congratulations!
    Amy's post made me think of something that I thought I would share. Woman often eat their placenta or have it encapsulated and take it orally after the delivery to gain the nutrients within the placenta. Now, isn't that returning back to nature in an unnatural way.
    I hope you continue to enjoy your little man!

  5. ... on 11:36 PM