A couple of weeks ago, once Baby hit five weeks, I felt I could handle doing more around the house, including experimenting in the kitchen with new recipes. I use the website Allrecipes.com to find easy, tasty, and healthy recipes to make. Bev's Orange Chicken is quick and easy to make. And my biggest food critic--my husband--thought it very tasty!

Here is the recipe:

Bev's Orange Chicken

Prep Time: 5 min Cook Time: 1 Hr 30 minutes [original recipe; I cooked mine for 45 minutes, which was enough time for the internal temperature to be the USDA recommended 160 degrees F for cooking poultry]

Ingredients

* 1 cup orange juice
* 1 tablespoon soy sauce
* 1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
* 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, or to taste
* 8 chicken thighs [I used chicken boneless, skinless chicken breast]

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a small bowl, stir together the orange juice, soy sauce, onion soup mix and garlic powder; set aside. Rinse chicken, and pat dry. Place chicken thighs into a 9x13 inch glass baking dish. Pour the orange juice mixture over.
3. Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour and 30 minutes in the preheated oven, basting every half hour. If using boneless chicken, reduce cooking time to 1 hour.

Nutritional information: Calories: 180 | Total Fat: 9.9g | Cholesterol: 59mg

Rusty liked the chicken but couldn't really taste the orange. I even added a little extra orange juice. Of course, I could taste the orange but that may be because I knew it was one of the ingredients. The website offers comments and suggested alterations to the recipe including shortening the cooking time, which I'm glad I did. Had I cooked the chicken the full hour and a half, the chicken probably would have been dry.


This entry was posted on 6/22/2010 12:25:00 AM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: