Today I couldn't stand it and while Baby and daddy were sleeping this morning, I went on a walk and even jogged here and there.

Boy did it feel good! It always feel good to work up a sweat, to get the heart rate up, and feel the euphoria of doing something strenuous. I didn't appreciate this feeling back when I was regularly working out because I had been in the habit of exercising for several years. Today I truly appreciated it.

And I realized I was jogging for myself. Not for the people who I passed, not so I could say I'm running, not so I could look skinny (although this is partially why it has been a concern for me and another source of guilt; need to lose those pregnancy pounds). When I realized how good it feels, I decided this was something to do just for me.

Then I thought about yoga and how wonderful that feels. I began community ed yoga a year after I got married and continued for about nine months. Then the night of the class changed to a night I work so I stopped doing it altogether. But the feelings that come from yoga and meditating are hard to replicate and I remember them and ache to have those feelings again. There is a release and clarity that comes with focusing on one's self in the manner that yoga and meditation offer. Yoga is about strengthening an individual's mind and body.

Here are some tasks that I can do that focus on myself in varying amounts of time. Many are ones that I used to enjoy but have let fall to the wayside. (Seriously my life consists of work, family, and reading--but reading so I don't have be alone with myself--sad, huh?) Some are activities I've recently come to enjoy. They may take anywhere from 15 minutes to 1 hour depending on what is feasible for the day. My goal is to do at least one of these activities every day.  I cannot do anything else while I'm focusing on these tasks. 

* Walking (sans iPod)
* Yoga
* Running (sans iPod)
* Journaling
* Cooking a yummy meal/new recipe
* Listening to music (I used to do this all the time; just sit, listen, and enjoy)
* Write
* Doodle
* Draw
* Meditate
* Watch a favorite television program or movie without doing something else at the same time

Please comment on what you like to do just for yourself.


This entry was posted on 10/16/2010 01:02:00 PM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

    Amy said...

    In addition to the things you listed, I've noticed--as of late--that photography is relaxing. I haven't a clue what I'm doing, mind you ... I basically just snap and shoot ... but I love it. sigh.

  1. ... on 7:23 AM