Tonight was my first adult education yoga class. Until now my experience with yoga has consisted of trying to follow written instructions from a magazine and a video that I was too immature to take seriously. Life experiences and Miss Read inspired me to give it an honest try.

The highlights:

* The method of breathing (exhaling and inhaling through the nose only) was very relaxing and would have come in handy in the past to combat anxiety problems.

* At the end of the relaxation exercises (aka cool down) we said, "Namaste," which means "I honor the divine in you," a sort of blessing on all the members of the class. The instructor succeeded in conveying this message through the entire routine.

* At the end of class I felt like I was in a another realm; a peaceful realm where the people are full of love. This is a place where you are free from life, which lately is very exhausing. Yeah, it sounds like a cheesy Star Trek episode but it was a genuine experience and one I can't wait to have again.

The verdict? Yoga can be addicting! After just one class, I eagerly anticipate next Thursday's class and the overwhelming feeling of peace. You may think it's "new age-y" or just a fad, but think of it as a form of meditation or guided relaxation like prayer or other religious activities. We all deserve a break, even if just a matter of an hour from the hectic pace and stresses of life.


This entry was posted on 1/22/2009 09:50:00 PM and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    I am way too thrilled, right now. I'm so glad you had an excellent experience in a yoga class.

    One of the most important things is that you remember (and I always remind my students) that the class is merely "an individual journey in a group setting".

    So...what are you doing for National Yoga Day?

  1. ... on 6:03 AM  
  2. Christy said...

    That's awesome!!

  3. ... on 8:21 AM