Kissing

My husband claims dementia whenever I ask him about his experiences as a kid or in high school. Tonight, I was reading a book where a 12 year old girl is tricked into a kiss by a 14 year old boy. I started thinking about first kisses and asked Russ when his first kiss was. Now, I've posed this question to him before but he becomes uncooperative, stating he doesn't understand why I'd care for all the details. I always have to explain that it's probably because I'm a female and think these stories are fun, all the while thinking,"I need to ask my mom about her first kiss. Maybe dad too."

After grilling him for details, I heard a different story tonight. Russ' first kiss was not at age 19 but was actually in the fifth grade. It was a girl named Natalie. He liked her and apparently she liked him back since she asked him to kiss her when they were alone by the fence on the playground. He said they were "together" for about a month but he never kissed her again. He did kiss girls in high school but only on the forehead--yes, I married a true gentleman.

I remember Becky C and I taking turns kissing Richard on the cheek while we sat against the wall at Santa's Secret Shop in the first grade. I was nervous but peer pressure gave me courage. My next kiss was like Russ' fifth grade one--a quickie on the lips--but at the end of tenth grade. Then the next was with a boyfriend my first year of college.

I think someone should publish a book of first kisses. First kisses of regular people. I take an unexplained delight in these stories--they're cute and sometimes a little romantic. Maybe a small book, like the ones you find in the Hallmark store that make good gifts for graduates, friends, or wives.

If a book like this has been published, can someone please let me know?


This entry was posted on 9/28/2008 10:08:00 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: