La-la-la-la...
From the dew-soaked hedge creeps a crawly caterpillar,
When the dawn begins to crack.
It's all part of my autumn almanac.
Breeze blows leaves over, mostly coloured yellow,
So I sweep them in my sack.
Yes, yes, yes, it's my autumn almanac.
---"Autumn Almanac" The Kinks

Hubbie and I were walking around Michaels, weaving in and out of the aisles, which were laden with Halloween, Thanksgiving, and, yes, a teeny bit of Christmas decor. And then it hit me.
My favorite season is Autumn.
For the past two years I find myself depressed and refusing to be uplifted in the Spring. Summer is a zoo and way too hot. With Old Man Winter comes the cold, short days, and snow, which is really stressful to drive in, not to mention wet and cold to be out in.
And then there's Autumn.
While wandering around Michaels, I found myself full of hope (which I'd normally attribute to the symbolism of the Spring--renewal, rebirth, etc) and excitement for the Autumn holidays.
But most of all there is comfort and peace in the smells and warm tones of the season.

The scents of autumn
Nutmeg, pumpkin, cider, cinnamon
warm the body, soul.

The colors of fall
Gold, red, orange, and olive
are tranquility.


This entry was posted on 9/08/2008 08:18:00 PM and is filed under , , , , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: