That man that hath a tongue, I say, is no man,
If with his tongue he cannot win a woman.
The Two Gentleman of Verona, 3. 1


I spent the past two days in Cedar City, UT. The main reason I went down there was to present at a workshop for an organization I belong to. For fun, last night I went to see my very first Shakespeare Festival play, The Two Gentlemen of Verona. It was excellent and I have decided--and still need to run this by Russ--that I will return every summer I'm in Utah to see a play.

The acting was wonderful, the costumes beautiful, and the atmosphere of the facility at Southern Utah University fun. I was transported to another time period. I was pleased to see the young people there--a few kids and some teens. Shakespeare has some fun plays, and luckily the content may be over the heads of the some the younger audience members until they mature a little.

Usually, attending a play is not high on my priority list. I'll admit that as a child I was turned off by musicals because I saw my mother and sister bonding over them--it was a female bonding experience--and I had not interest in that (I was a tomboy). This was the second play I saw this summer. The first was The Music Man performed by members of the Farmington, Utah community. It was really well done, although having never experienced this story before, I was disappointed at the end of the play (maybe I wouldn't have been if Marian the Librarian hadn't been seduced by the conman music vendor--shouldn't he be held accountable for his swindling? But then again Proteus was forgiven by his lover and best friend that he betrayed in a very feminine fashion--maybe I should study more about forgiveness).

The city of Cedar City was fun as well and I'd like more time to explore it. We stayed at the Best Western Town and Country, which was in a good location right next to the Park and the Library at the Park and walking distance to some shops and restaurants.

Next year's plays look fun. The 2009 venue for the Cedar City Shakespeare Festival is below.
Plays by Shakespeare
The Comedy of Errors
Henry V
As You Like It
The Adventurs of Pericles

Plays by Other Playwrights
Foxfire
Private Lives
The Secret Garden (musical)
Pump Boys and Dinettes
The Woman in Black


This entry was posted on 8/15/2008 06:05:00 PM and is filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: