Humbled

I had three experiences this week that reminded me that/why I love my job.

1) Yesterday I wandered out my office and spied one of my story time graduates lying on the floor of the library while his mother browsed the audio books. I commented on how bored he looked. His mom revealed that he is on strike: no more books for him! Well, no librarian could sit idly by while a kid decided he hates books. I knew what he liked--animals--and that there is more than just your standard book at the library. We went to the kid's magazines. He took a stack of Zoobooks. I asked him if he likes comic books (usually those who claim to be anti-reading love comics). Luckily, this fad has trickled down the publishing industry from adult to teens and on down to beginning readers. We found a Phonics Comics book. My little buddy was delighted with his library loot.

2) Grown women and little girls alike can relate to this one. Remember playing teacher? Well, today I learned that one of my little story time girls likes to play librarian. After her day at the library (usually entailing story time) she goes home, props up books for display and plays music, conducting her own story time. I'm a role model!

3) Down a custodial staff member at the branch, I was stocking the restrooms with paper towels and toilet paper. In the women's restroom, the little sister of one of my young kindred spirit patrons was washing her hands (and checking out her scabbed nose, scabbed upper lip, and newly repaired front tooth--she face planted off a scooter). We chatted a little. Her mom knocked on the door telling her to hurry up and I went into a stall to replace the toilet paper. When I went to throw the packaging away, my new little friend was standing next to the trash can, back against the wall, and looking like she had something to say. She had me cornered and blurted out, "Do you know any good books for third graders?" and we were off!

It is so fun to see young people grow in their love for books and reading. It can begin at such a young age and with a little encouragment, nurturing, and a positive reading experience, develops into a lifelong love affair.


This entry was posted on 8/28/2008 07:34:00 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: