Pretty Bird

Last evening Vega found an injured robin in the front lawn of the Library, so I put it in a box and took it home with the plan of taking it to the Ogden Nature Center for rehabilitation.

This morning, while getting ready for work, I heard a ruckus coming from the box. When I got to work, I finally looked inside the box to see how the bird was doing.

It was dead.

I don't know if I did something to kill (maybe to cool at night, no food, it hit its head on the lid of the box too much) or if it died from its injuries.

Death is always shocking, no matter who or what it is. Its hard to understand how one minute a being can have life and the next be nothing more than a just flesh and bone, no life force.

I've never experienced the death of a person, only pets. How will I deal with the death of a loved one when the death of an animal that I don't even know affects me so?


This entry was posted on 8/02/2006 03:22:00 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

    Brannigan C said...

    I have a sad bird dieing story to go with yours. My wife and I were living in an apt beofre buying our first house. The building had a covered parking lot that the birds would nest in. One day we found a new born bird that had fallen out of a nest so I put back into the nest and was feeling pretty good about life. The next day I came out to go to work and found the little new born bird on the ground again but this time someone had driven over him. It was a hard thing to see and I felt horrible all day.

  1. ... on 5:15 PM